Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Our First Christmas 2010



Darek and I had our first Christmas as a married couple! We got to decorate our home, buy our tree (and that took a couple of days), hang lights, and argue how to trim the tree... Ya we argued about how to decorate our Christmas tree. Sounds like something stupid to fight over, but it was actually quit funny to watch I hear. Darek wanted to do certain things that I didn't agree with, and I wanted to do certain things Darek didn't agree with. But it got done in the end and was a very beautiful tree, one that got appreciated but all those who saw it.

Us arguing over something so simple was just us finding our middle ground like any other new marriage. If those didn't happen I would be frightened for one or both party's.

We are blessed so much in our lives in many small and hidden ways, especially in the Holiday Seasons. Both sides of our family live in the towns right next to each other so we rarely spend a holiday with just one family or go through the stress of picking who to visit this year. Perk? I think yes!

This year for Christmas I had no clue what to get Darek (he is one of the hardest people to shop for) because he already had all that he needed or wanted. And he was working so hard on his gift for me, I could tell it was going to be extra special. So I had to do the same for him. But what do you get for a man that always buys himself the things he wants or needs? And if you have NO budget to speak of?

A puppy that's what you get him! Darek had been wanting a boxer puppy for as long as I've know him and longer. So through tons of searching and lots of frustration I found Moli our 5 week old boxer mix. But this was a few days before Christmas so I had to hide her out at my parents place. Let me tell you it was not fun keeping that little secret from Darek.



So we spend Christmas morning at Darek's moms house opening presents and hanging out with family (all the while I'm jumping out of my skin because Moli is at my parents house). Even on the drive out I was skittish, but Darek never noticed or he was polite enough not to say anything.

We pull up to the Sartell residence and I walk into the house first and see this little wrinkly ball with a bright red bow running around. With Darek coming up behind me I'm nervous that he won't see her because she all but matches my parents hardwood floors and leather couches. But he does see the bid bright red bow.

His jaw falls opens and his eyes little up, and all he say is "is that for me?" I burst into giggles, say yes dramatically, but he is already on the ground playing with her half in love and not listening to me.

Needless to say that went over extremely well.  And all this time Darek was muttering and hiding stuff from me about my present, he was making a neckless for me. Which I absolutely love because it was made out of a dried kernel of corn  he saved from of our very forst dates more than a year ago.  Ya this is were all you women out there sigh in envy because I have an amazing husband.

Christmas that year was more than either of us could have asked for. With family right there and love just bursting at the seams we had come full circle since his proposal the Christmas before.  But that's a story for another day ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment